Philanthropy has been known as far back as ancient Greece. By definition, it means to do something good by helping others in meaningful ways. It can be done by either donating financially or volunteering your time to a cause you believe in. Participating in philanthropy not only help others; it also benefits you. In this post, we will discuss the benefits of giving back to others and provide you with ways on how you can make a difference to the Turner Syndrome (TS) community.
The Health Benefits of Giving Back
Did you know that giving back to your community can improve your mental health? Just ask yourself whether you have ever felt a sense of excitement or joy when giving gifts to your friends or family.
In fact, when scientists studied the effects of generous behavior with commitment, they found that commitment-induced generosity was linked with happiness at a neurological (or brain) level (Park 2017 et al.). Research also shows that giving behavior indeed releases “feel good” chemicals in your brain and causes something called a “helper’s high.” You can show generosity by either donating to or volunteering for a charity for a cause you believe in.
While giving back has a positive impact on your mental health, it can also give you a sense of purpose, widen your network, and allow you to share your expertise with others. All of these things can help you both personally and professionally. Also, giving back can also provide you with a sense of community. At the end of the day, we, as human beings, are social creatures.
About the TS Community
TS is a genetic condition that affects one in every 2,000 female births. This means that you most likely have someone in your community who has it the condition.
It is caused by a missing X chromosome that holds DNA–the building blocks of cells. Patients with TS could have delayed growth, endocrine health challenges, heart disease, cardiac and kidney problems, and other health challenges.
They, along with the caretakers, doctors, teachers, and researchers who support them, are the TS community. To learn more, click here.
Ways To Give Back
- Amazon Smile: If you are someone who loves shopping on Amazon, one way you can help a good cause is by shopping at smile.amazon.com instead of amazon.com. Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchases to charities like TSF, at no extra cost to you.
- Donate blood: You can become someone else’s hero just by donating your blood. Frequent blood drives are held by organizations, at no cost to you. For example, you can donate blood to the Coriell Institute for Medical Research and help researchers learn more about TS.
As a result, you can help researchers find new ways to treat the challenges caused by the condition.
3. Fundraise: You can make a difference by raising funds for a cause you believe in to help others. One of the most convenient options are social media platforms, like Facebook. Facebook provides an opportunity to organize a birthday fundraiser to support your favorite organization, like TSF. With the help of your friends, you can support your communities. Read more about fundraising ideas.
5. Get charity-focused credit cards: Some credit cards are designed specifically for charity. You might want to consider investing in such a credit card if you believe that it might be an effective option for you.
6. Donate used belongings: Give away your used clothes and other belongings to those in need. For example, you can help women and girls with TS by donating used-goods that can help TSF raise funds for its mission. By doing so, you will make an impact on the TS community. Also, donations of used goods help reduce pollution and make a difference for our planet.
Other Ways To Give Back to the TS Community
There are many other ways to help the TS community, such as:
- donating online,
- joining our Monthly Giving Club,
- honoring a loved one with your donation,
- giving to the TS community via in lieu gifts,
- raising TS awareness,
- advocating for the TS community, and
- volunteering for TSF.
We hope you’ll join us in raising awareness and improving the future of TS diagnosis and care. Your assistance gives thousands of people affected by the condition the chance to lead fulfilling lives.
Takeaways & Action Steps
Giving helps your community and also makes a positive impact on your life. There are many ways to give back, such as using Amazon Smile and donating blood to help medical research.
We hope you’ll join us in raising awareness and changing the future of TS diagnosis and care for the better. Your generosity will help thousands of individuals affected by the condition the chance to lead healthy and full lives.
Remember that no meaningful gift or effort is too small. By taking action, you will witness for yourself the benefits of giving back!
Written by Dhruvi Patel and Valeriia Muradova, TSF volunteer blog writers. Edited by Elizabeth Rivera, TSF Blog Content Coordinator, and Susan Herman, TSF volunteer lead blog editor.
Giving: Charity and Philantrophy in History by Robert H. Bremmer
© Turner Syndrome Foundation, 2021