2021 has been busy for many of us. It’s hard to balance our academic, work, family, and social lives on top of weathering the pandemic’s many changes.
Because of that, it has become difficult for us to find time to help our communities.
Luckily, there is an event that’s simple to join and that multiplies your positive impact- Take a Step for TS!
This article will review what this event is, how to join it and how it helps positively impact your community.
What is Take a Step for TS?
Why should I attend Take a Step for TS?
Take a Step of TS is an awareness event that supports the Turner Syndrome community. The TS community is made up of the women and girls who have Turner Syndrome (TS), a genetic condition that affects 1 in every 2,000 females. This means that you probably have people in your community right now who have it without even knowing it!
Why help raise awareness? You can help the community receive the attention to improve lives of everyone who live with TS. Turner Syndrome gives women and girls various challenges to overcome, including physical, emotional and social health.
This community is also made up of those who support females with TS, including:
- Medical professionals who diagnose and treat females with TS
- Researchers who help find new ways to diagnose and treat females with TS
- Educators that help girls and women with TS excel academically
- Families of girls and women with TS; and
- Businesses, donors, and volunteers who financially and non financially help females with TS excel in every environment
Therefore, by attending this event, you’ll be part of a growing movement that uplifts women’s access to health treatments, legal as well as financial protections, and strong support systems in their communities.
When is Take a Step for TS?
An Outdoor Activity For All Ages
The Take a Step for TS will take place October 25th – 31st, 2021. Get your neighborhood or colleagues together to walk or run for awareness. Get your furry pets or little ones in costume outside to enjoy the autumn weather.
Ask for your friends and local community to sponsor you to help raise much needed funds for this cause.
How do I join Take a Step for TS?
Here’s how you can join the event:
- Click on this link.
- Then, click on “Event Registration”.
- After that, click on the button for who you are registering for- either yourself or someone else who you want to participate in the event. Once you’re done with that, click on “Next”.
- Then, on the next page, write your name, email, and t-shirt size (this will be explained in the step #5).
- Next, choose if you want to purchase some TSF gear (such as a t-shirt) to help spread TS awareness and also have other members on your team. To let others join your team, you must pay $25 so they will be able to participate.
- Afterwards, create your TSF team account by clicking on “Create Account”.
- Then, choose if you want to donate money towards TSF.
- After that, make last minute changes to your contact information or what you want to purchase.
- Next, name your fundraiser team.
- Once you do that, pay the requested amount via a E Check, credit card, or PayPal.
- Finally, click on the “Submit” button, officially signing you up for the event!
What can I do to help fundraise for TSF if I cannot attend Take a Step for TS?
If you cannot attend the event for some reason, don’t worry! You can still financially aid the TS community by donating.
- Use the same sign-up link as the previous section.
- Click on the “I can’t make it, but I’d like to donate” button.
- Choose how much money you are going to donate by typing it into the “$ other” section.
- Put your contact information like your name, address, email and phone number, into the appropriate sections.
- Decide if you want to donate by credit card, PayPal, or E Check.
- Enter in the proper information for each section.
- Choose if you want to get updates from TSF that can help you find more ways to aid the TS community.
What can I do once I create my fundraising page?
Once you complete the page, you can:
- Go back to this link and log in to customize your fundraising page’s photos or your fundraising story;
- Add more people to your fundraising team
- Encourage others to join your team or donate towards your cause;
- Start walking to help raise TS awareness and fundraise to help the TS community;
- Update everyone about your progress with your fundraising goals on social media with #takeastepforTS; and
- Have fun not only staying healthy, but also uplifting your community!
What are other ways that I can help the TS community?
Takeaway - What you can do now
Overall, if you want to help members of your community in a fun, healthy way, we highly recommend that you join Take a Step for TS!
Acknowledgements: This article was written by Elizabeth Rivera, TSF’s Blog Content Coordinator and edited by Susan Herman, TSF’s Lead Editor. ©Turner Syndrome Foundation 2021.