The summer months present a respite for girls to overcome difficulties and to interact with other girls sharing the same genetic anomaly and concerns. Summer recess provides an opportunity to gain independence and confidence from engaging in educational and social programs to foster new skills, friendships, and lasting memories. Health specific sleep-a-way camp offers counseling and enrichments critical to the social and psychological development of girls with this disorder.
Emotional Intelligence Developed Through Camp Experience
Self-awareness, self-control, empathy, the ability to wait, the ability to listen, cooperate, share and work well with others are predictors of adult success and happiness more than traditional IQ scores according to Daniel Goldman, clinical psychologist and author of “Emotional Intelligence”. Children whose emotional intelligence skills are well-developed tend to be more successful at school, have deeper and healthier relationships, grow up to have more fulfilling work lives and become valuable and contributing members of their communities. He asserts these skills can be taught.
- Children away from home with new friends and new challenges can learn to identify their own strengths and abilities, perserverance, and build new life skills.
- Camp counselors model and teach emotional intelligence skills by modeling perserverance, listening, teamwork and appreciation of differences building a feeling of acceptance and the ability to live independently one day.
- Camp Carefree, Stokesdale, NC
“FREE” Medically Supervised camp experience and Turner Syndrome week July 23 – 29, 2017
For more information: Visit website: www.campcarefree.org
- Camp Maple Leaf, Wallingford, VTA fun day camp experience that focuses on social thinking and leisure and relaxation skills development for children and adolescents diagnosed with: Nonverbal Learning Disabilities, Asperger’s Syndrome, High Functioning Autism and PDD-NOS.
Visit website: www.MapleLeafClinic.com
- National Turner Syndrome Camp, CA www.ntscamp.org
- Boston International Turner Syndrome Summit, MA www.bitssummit.org